Logan County Courthouse
Originally located in the village of Postville, Illinois, this building was the seat of Logan County government from 1839 to 1847. Residents won that designation by promising to build this courthouse, completed in 1840. Henry Ford purchased this courthouse and brought it to Greenfield Village in 1929. The corner cabinet, which was built by Abraham Lincoln and his father, was added to the furnishings.
A young lawyer and prominent Whig politician named Abraham Lincoln was among the lawyers who traveled the Eighth
Judicial Circuit in the pioneer days on the prairie and argued cases in the Logan County Courthouse. Court
was held in rural communities like Postville twice a year. The residents of the area would come to town to
purchase supplies, get the latest news, and crowd around the courthouse listening to the court proceedings
through the open windows.
|| | | | ||