East Haverhill Toll House
The East Haverhill Toll House, which measures 10 x 12 feet, was erected in 1828 by a drawbridge on the Merrimac River in East Haverhill, Massachusetts, noted for the manufacture of boots and shoes. The building was used as a shelter to workers who collected fees from the travelers crossing the bridge. From 1868 until 1911 this building doubled as a cobbler. The Drawbridge workers fashioned and repair shoes while waiting for travelers. In 1868 the fee was removed and it became free to use the drawbridge.
|| | | | ||