Built in 1879, in Bryan County near Savannah, Georgia, by Amos parents, Andrew Mattox and Charlott Morel, both former slaves, was home to three generations of the Mattox family. Here Andrew and Charlott raised their son Amos and his four brothers and sisters.
Amos and Grace Mattox raised their two children in this farmhouse during the early years of the
depression of the 1930s. Amos provided for his family by working many jobs. He was a farmer,
barber, shoemaker and preacher and Grace provided food for needy neighbors. Although the Great
Depression created severe hardships, the Mattox family found innovative and great ways of making
the best out of difficult times, such as lining the
|| | | | ||