The Weaving Shop was built in the second quarter of the 19th century in Bryan County, Georgia as
a horse-powered cotton gin mill. Originally, most of the first floor was open, allowing horses access
to the drive mechanism for the cotton gin located on the enclosed upper floors. When it was initially
rebuilt in Greenfield Village the first floor remained open, but by 1944 the entire first floor had
been enclosed and a one-story well had been added.
Today, the process of weaving cloth is demonstrated, from colonial hand methods to 20th
century power looms. Presenters demonstrate the skill of weaving on a colonial hand loom; the fly-shuttle
loom, the first steps towards mechanized textile production; and the jacquard loom, a 19th century
weaving machine that could be "programmed" in much the same way as todays computer.
An experienced fly shuttle loom weaver can produce about a foot of fabric an hour. Also on display
are a modern electric powered loom and knitting machines.
|| | | | ||